HOPE. STRENGTH. GROWTH.Suffolk Health Psychology Services, PLLC
Serving children, adolescents and adults in New York State
Areas of focus
Suffolk Health Psychology Services, PLLC provides evaluations and scientifically-based treatment for children, adolescents and adults living in New York State.
Please note: the practice does not accept patients on Medicare, or from within the CHS system.
The practice uses HIPPA-HITECH-compliant video conferencing software. You attend all of your appointments from the comfort and convenience of your own home!
Areas of focus include:
- Coping with chronic medical illness (including new diagnosis of life-threatening illness)
- Coping with life-altering injury
- Coping with college stress
- Stress management & relaxation training
- Exercise initiation & maintenance
- Behavioral pain management (e.g., headache, irritable bowel, cancer)
- Sleep problems
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (e.g., motor vehicle accident, life-threatening diagnosis, sudden death, injury or illness of a loved one, or other traumatic event)
- Depression (including Post-partum depression for mothers of newborns)
- Medical self-management (or earning how to manage your chronic illness, such as diabetes or cystic fibrosis; or preparing for or managing an organ transplant)
- Parenting a “difficult” child, or dealing with parenting stress
- Low self-esteem or self-worth
- Relationship problems
Dr. Dixon is dedicated to traveling the journey of inner discovery with any person whom is invested in tapping into their inner resources and maximizing the amount of joy and delight to be experienced during their lifetime. Now is always the right time. It is never too late!
Denise Dixon, Ph.D.
Dr Dixon is a licensed clinical psychologist practicing in New York State. She sees children, adolescents, & adults, & specializes in evidenced-based treatments of various mental health problems. She is dedicated to helping people to find hope; discover their inner strength; and maximize their personal growth.
Stay Up To Date
Receive the latest blog updates and a free emotional wellness checklist, delivered straight to your inbox. Awesome!
Congrats! You will receive updates about once per week. Yay, you!
Types of treatment provided
The practice focuses on cognitive behavior types of therapies.
Treatment is always tailored to meeds the needs of the unique personality and circumstances of each person.
These negative thoughts and beliefs can lead to emotional distress and self-destructive behaviors. In cognitive-behavioral therapy, the patient learns strategies to change (or “re-frame”) situations; and change behavior patterns, leading to improved well-being. The approach is goal-oriented and emphasizes problem-solving strategies.
Trauma can change the way a person thinks about him/herself and the world. They believe that they are to blame for what happened or that the world is a dangerous place. These kinds of thoughts keep a person stuck in PTSD symptoms and cause the person to miss out on things that used to be enjoyed.
CPT teaches the person a new way to handle these upsetting thoughts. In CPT, the person learns skills that can help decisions about whether there are more helpful ways to think about the trauma. The person learns how to examine whether the facts support the thought or do not support the thought. And ultimately, the person can decide whether or not it makes sense to take a new perspective.
Schedule my appointment
Visit the patient portal to set up your HIPAA-compliant private account. You may then complete your new patient paperwork, enter payment information, and schedule your first appointment – all from the privacy and convenience of your own home!